Tuesday, July 29, 2014

DIY #8 - Royal Crown Brooch

 
Hey there! I've been gone for a while I know....Driving school and learner's permits and things of that nature. But I'm back with a new tutorial! hopefully I can get a few things up this week to make up for my absence, but I'll see what's going on.
Either way, this tutorial has three different variations so it's pretty flexible.
 
Here it is!
 
Supplies:
-Polymer clay (I used Ultramarine blue and Jewelry gold Sculpey)
-X-acto knife
-Crown stencils (I printed from Google images)
-Scissors
-Wax paper
-Strong adhesive
-Mod Podge
-A paint brush
-Cream or white felt
-Gold leaf (I used Martha Stewart brand gilding sheets)
-Nail gems or tiny rhinestones
-Bigger rhinestones
-Birthstone gems (those little bottles that you can find at museums and such)
-Bar pins (pin backs)
 
 
 
 
 
 
Steps:
 
First, lay out your wax paper and supplies. Then cut out your stencils with a pair of scissors. If your crown designs have sections in the middle like mine, use your X-acto knife to remove the paper there.
 
After you have your stencils set, put them to the side and grab your clay. I used about half a section for each gold crown and about 3/4 of a section for my blue crown. The amount of clay you use depends on your crown size.
 
Condition your clay and roll it out to a thickness that works for you. Don't make it too thin though; you don't want your pin to be fragile.
 
Place your stencil on top of the clay and press it down so it stays in place while you're carving. Like this:
 
Use your knife to cut around the stencil first:

 
And then cu out the middle pieces if there are any before removing the stencil. 

 
Repeat this process for each crown. I did two gold and one blue crown. 


 
Now let's work on the blue crown.
 
After all your crowns have been cut out, take your blue one. I used my X-acto to rip off little pieces of the gilding sheets and pressed them into the unbaked clay. (Yes, you can bake these). I did my gilding randomly and it turned out like this:
 
 
 
I left the center top un-gilded because that's where my little rhinestones are going.
 
Next, place all you crowns on wax paper and a baking sheet and put them in the oven based on your package instructions. I used Sculpey brand, so I baked mine at 275 degrees Fahrenheit for 15 minutes, but your baking time may depend on the brand of clay you use. 
 
Once your clay has baked, take it out of the oven and wait for it to cool. Then it's time to start decorating!
 
For the first gold crown, I used felt, nail gems and a big rhinestone. I cut a strip of cream felt to go at the bottom of the crown and used a big square rhinestone that I had leftover from my Split back Shirt tutorial. In addition, I used 11 gold nail gems to place on my crown in a row design. Once you plan out your design, use a strong glue to glue everything on. I had originally planned to use my hot glue gun, but opted for Loctite transparent adhesive. My first gold crown turned out like this:
 
 
 
 Now to our blue beauty. Since this one already had gold gilding all over it, I just glued on three silver nail gems on the top blank section like such:

 
 
Now for our last crown. The second gold one. For this one I used 4 silver nail gems and some Amethyst gems. I first glued the gems to the bottom left corner and left side, and the top right corner. You can glue your gems anywhere you want.
 
Then I made a straight line down the middle of the crown with the silver nail gems. Here is how it turned out:

 
After your glue dries, which takes about 4 hours for Loctite but I waited over night, you can flip your pins over and glue on the pin backs.
 
 
If you're crowns are anything like my gold ones, you make have to glue the pin backs vertically.
Once the backs are glued on and the glue is dry, you're done! You can wear one, two, or all or your pins at once if you want!
 
Enjoy!
 





No comments:

Post a Comment