Friday, July 11, 2014

DIY #6 - Cross Necklace

 
I'm back with another tutorial! My schedule has been slightly hectic do to Driver's Ed classes all this week and the next but I'm managing. Now, on to the tutorial!
 
 
Supplies:
-2 pairs of pliers (yes, I have baby ones.)
-8 gold jump rings
-Gold chain
-A gold lobster clasp
-A cross cut-out pendant (details below) 

 
 
 
 
Steps:
 
I had already pre-created my pendant with some Sculpey polymer clay. I didn't take pictures, but it's easy enough to explain.
 
Taking your choice of color of clay, roll it out to the thickness you want. Then cut out a rectangle that is 1 1/2 inches by 1 1/4 inches.
 
With either a cross shaped cutter (if you have one) or free-hand with an X-acto knife, create your cross shape in the middle. Then add two holes at the top for the jump rings by piercing the clay with a needle and bake at 275 degrees Fahrenheit for 15 minutes.
 
Once you have your piece created, put one jump ring through the two top holes and one at the bottom of the cross like this: 
 
 
Then add one more jump ring to the first three, like this:
 
Next, prepare your chain. Cut two pieces that are equal length and as long as you want them to be.

 
 
 Attach one end of the chain to the last jump ring on the top of your pendant. Repeat for both sides.
 
Then, taking a third shorter piece of chain, attach one end to the jump ring at the bottom of the cross, and the other end to a point on your chain that is just a few inches from your pendant. (I put my chain on the right side, but in the picture it looks flipped.)

 
Lastly, add the last two jump rings to either side of your necklace chain. I put my lobster clasp on the right side because I'm right-handed, but you can do whatever feels more comfortable.
And then you're done!
As always, I'll post pics of the necklace and how I style it on Instagram, just look me up @danithedancer.
Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment