Tuesday, July 8, 2014

DIY #5 - Spiked Snapback

 
 
 
I love hats. Fedoras, snapbacks, beanies....all kinds of hats. But who really wants to pay all that money for an embellished hat when you can easily DIY one?
 
 
Supplies:
-Snapback in your choice of color
-Spikes (mine were screw back spikes that I got on Amazon, but any spikes will work)
-Hot glue gun and glue
 
-Optional: chain, a jump-ring, two pairs of pliers
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 
Steps:
 
First, place your spikes on the brim of your hat so you can decide what design you'll use.
I went for a semi-uniform scattered rows kind of look, but you can do whatever you like. If you want to copy my design, you'll need 13 spikes. While you figure out your spike placement, plug in your glue gun.

 
 
Next, take your glue gun and start gluing the spikes to the hat. I would recommend gluing them down from one side and work your way to the opposite side. All you have to do is lift one spike up a few inches from your hat, put a dab of glue on the bottom and then press it back down in its spot.
Hold the spike down for a few seconds while the glue dries. 

 
 
 
 
 
And that's all there is to it! However, once I finished gluing on my spikes, I realized I wanted a little extra on my hat. Soooo.....
 
I added a draped chain to the back on the actual snap part. I didn't take any pictures, but all I did was open a large jump-ring with two pairs of pliers, slip one link of my chain onto it, and hooked the jump-ring onto the first hole on the left side of the snap before closing the jump-ring again. With the other end of chain, I simply glued the last link to the end of the right side of the snap. I hope that's not too confusing..
 
 
In the end, this is how my chain looked if I were to wear the snapback backwards (and cocked to the side slightly).
 
And you're done! If you make your own spiked snapback, post a pic on Instagram and tag @danithedancer.
 
Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment