Friday, July 4, 2014

Dance Therapy

I'm sure we've all heard of aromatherapy, or aquatic therapy, but what about dance therapy?

Yes, it is a real thing and it really works. In fact, I've been using it for most of my life without even knowing it. However, I've been using a hip-hop version, whereas the more common type of dance therapy is of jazz or ballet.

Dance therapy is the use of movement and dance to support emotional, intellectual and motor functions of the body. The involved dance forms include modern dance, culturally-based dances, Turkish dance, tango, waltz, ballroom dance, foxtrot, line dancing, aerobic dance and body psychotherapy.

Ritually, this form of therapy is used for the healing of influence by infertility, sickness, death, and birth.

In some way, I feel as if I have created a new form of dance therapy. As previously stated, I use hip hop dances with fast paced movements. And I usually do it when I'm in any mood; sad, happy mad, irritated, etc.
It helps me to forget the troubles of the day and just get to a mental state where I don't have to think about the negatives or the positives. All that exists is the music and the movement.

I encourage you to try it if you ever need to escape from the day or week and just have a moment to yourself.
Dance like no one is watching.

XO Dani

No comments:

Post a Comment